Microneedling is today’s most sought after treatment in the fight against aging. It is a procedure that utilizes a fine needle system to puncture the skin and create a controlled skin injury in order to rejuvenate skin.
It is useful for those who suffer from acne scarring, fine lines and wrinkles, loose skin, skin texture issues, large pores, brown/age spots, stretch marks, and other pigmentation issues.
Microneedling is also known as skin needling, collagen induction therapy (CIT), and percutaneous collagen induction (PCI).
Just about anyone can have the procedure performed as long as there are no active infections, lesions, or any known wound healing problems. Research shows that after just one session of microneedling collagen in the treated area is doubled.
For the procedure a topical anesthetic is applied and then a tool called is used to insert tiny stainless steel needles into the skin. This will cause microinjuries or punctures, which encourages your body to send healing agents (elastin and collagen) to the cuts to repair them. These small channels increase absorption of facial products that are applied during the treatment. CIT is a very effective treatment for wrinkles, fine lines, skin tightening and rejuvenation, acne scars, hair growth, stretch marks, and surgical scars. This new collagen makes skin look and feel slicker, tighter, and more youthful.
To speed up collagen synthesis, we can also add on an adjunct treatment called PRP which involves withdrawing a person’s blood and processing it to create PRP. After the microneedling treatment is complete, the patient’s own PRP is then applied onto the skin, which releases growth factors and quickens the healing process. PRP can also be used to facilitate healing after laser or surgical scars. We also have a hair growth protocol which is used for those experiencing premature hair loss or dealing with stretch marks.
PRP for Hair Loss
Hair loss can be an embarrassing issue for a number of men and women. This can also greatly affect the way you look and feel about yourself as a whole. Many that suffer from hair loss find themselves feeling helpless and frustrated. While there are many other options available, these options are expensive, and have the potential to carry unwanted side effects without treating the underlying cause.
How PRP for Hair Restoration Works
Platelet-Rich Protein (PRP) for Hair Restoration involves a process of injecting your own platelets back into your scalp. This treatment is effective in the following ways:
- Increases blood supply to the follicle, stimulating growth
- Increases thickness
- Triggers the growth phase of each follicle
- Decreases hair loss
This quick procedure involves the collection and concentration of your body’s own platelets using a very easy three-step process:
Step 1: We use a special collection tube to draw your blood and it is then placed into a centrifuge.
Step 2: The platelets that were separated are drawn up into a syringe. These platelets contain healing growth factors that signal to your tissues to regenerate and multiply. This causes the growth factors and stem cells to work together to reverse the hair follicle from shrinking in size while also jump-starting dormant hair follicles back into the growth phase.
Step 3: Using a small needling device, the platelets are then reintroduced by microneedling into the skin and followed up by injections placed strategically into your scalp in areas that need improvement.
Before and After Photos
There is no downtime or a long recovery process. You may take a warm shower the evening of your treatment. Your scalp may be tender or sore for a couple of days. Avoid using harsh dyes or chemicals on your hair (gel, hairspray, etc) for at least 48 hours.
What Are the Benefits of Microneedling?
- Improves fine lines and deeper wrinkles
- Reduction of acne scars
- Softens stretch marks
- Evens skin tone
- Lightens hyperpigmentation and sun spots
- Reduces appearance of pores
- Firms and smooths skin texture
- Heals scars
- Reduces broken capillaries and spider veins
- Brings back the glow for fresher, younger-looking skin
What Are the Benefits of Microneedling With Platelet-Rich Plasma?
When PRP is used in combination with microneedling, it penetrates your skin through the tiny channels that the microneedles create. The PRP enhances the microneedling benefits. PRP also addresses under-eye puffiness and dark circles to give you a more youthful, well-rested appearance. Because PRP is derived from your own blood, there is a very low risk of side effects.
What is Platelet-Rich Plasma?
We obtain Platelet-Rich Plasma, or PRP, by drawing a small amount of blood from your arm into a sterile tube. The sample is then centrifuged to separate your plasma from other blood cells, which we use for the treatment. Plasma contains a high concentration of platelets, stem cells and growth factors, which help your tissue heal and grow new cells. PRP helps damaged, aging skin grow new collagen and elastin for beautiful, youthful results.
Who is a Good Candidate for Microneedling With PRP?
Microneedling with PRP is a very safe and effective treatment for adults with all skin types who wish to improve their skin quality. The depth can be adjusted to meet the client’s individual needs and objectives. Microneedling with PRP is a good option for people who are not good candidates for lasers, such as those with darker skin types, because of its low-risk profile.
How is the Procedure Performed? Is It Painful?
First, we apply a topical numbing gel to the treatment area for optimal comfort. Then we insert a new sterile cartridge is inserted into our pen and we select the appropriate depth setting based on your skin’s unique needs.
We apply your prepared PRP solution to the treatment area before and after the microneedling procedure to ensure that the PRP gets fully absorbed. We can also apply other therapeutic serums to further address your specific skin condition, such as melasma or hyperpigmentation. Since we apply a topical numbing cream prior to the treatment, discomfort is significantly lessened. Microneedling feels like light sandpaper being moved across the skin. Also, the post-treatment hydrating gel will help with recovery.
How Long Does the Procedure Take? Is There Any Downtime?
About one hour total. The numbing process takes about 30 minutes. If you choose to use PRP with your treatment then while you are numbing, we draw your blood and centrifuge it to obtain the PRP.
The downtime is minimal with only one to three days of mild redness, depending on the aggressiveness of the treatment.
When Will I See Results After the Vampire Facial? How Many Treatments Are Recommended?
You’ll notice an immediate “glow” to your skin once the treatment is over, and it will continue to improve over the next few weeks. The full results can be seen up to 6 months post-treatment as collagen production continues.
We recommend a series of at least three treatments about four to six weeks apart to see the best results. You can then do the treatment about once a year to maintain these results.
How is Microneedling Different From Dermal Needling Rollers?
- Adjustable needle depth: Dermal rollers are the first generation of needling devices. They have a fixed depth and can’t be adjusted to meet your varying skin needs. The microneedling pen has an adjustable needle tip that allows us to vary the depth of penetration throughout the treatment depending on your skin’s condition. This allows us to specifically address your needs such as: crow’s feet, lower eyelids, forehead, upper lip, cheeks and neck with a single needle tip instead of multiple dermal needle rollers.
- Safety: Microneedling is safer than dermal rollers because we use a sterile single-use surgical grade disposable needle tip. This allows greater efficiency and clinical results while ensuring the highest level of client safety. Because this works on ALL skin types, it’s a great choice for just about anyone.
- Speed: MicroPen’s high-speed motor enables quick needle penetration. This provides a more comfortable experience that patients often describe as a “sandpaper-like” sensation.
- Better results: Safety and control features produce predictable and consistent results.
Microneedling Versus Laser
When used correctly, skin resurfacing lasers can be a wonderful tool for treating aging skin. Lasers use a focused light to create heat that destroys undesirable pigmentation and stimulates collagen and elastin production. This results in tighter skin and with improved skin tone and fewer wrinkles. Although effective for many people, it’s not ideal for treating patients with naturally darker skin (Fitzpatrick type IV and above). Eclipse MicroPen breaks up the pigment mechanically and remodels the collagen without heat. By removing heat, the microneedling treatment is safer and more comfortable with a very low complication rate.
Microneedling offers amazing results to meet your goals of getting and keeping your skin looking beautiful. However, like any good skin treatment there are aftercare instructions that you should follow to get the best results.
Since microneedling creates small wounds in the skin, we recommend that patients do not return to their normal skincare routines right away. Immediately after your treatment, you will look as though you have a mild to moderate sunburn, and your skin may feel warm and tighter than usual. These effects are completely normal and they typically subside within a few hours after treatment but can take up to 24-48 hours for complete resolution.
Continue to treat the skin gently for three days after microneedling, and you may resume your normal skin care after day three post-treatment.
- Clean – use a gentle cleanser for the first 72 hours after your treatment and gently dry the skin.
- Heal – we recommend certain products that we carry after treatment. It’s properties help the skin to heal properly.
- Hydrate – following your treatment your skin may feel drier than normal. Hyaluronic acid is an amazing ingredient that may be used to hydrate and restore the skin back to perfect balance.
- Makeup – we recommend no makeup for 24-72 hours after the procedure.
- Protect – immediately after your treatment we will apply an appropriate SPF to your skin. We recommend a chemical-free sunscreen for you to use daily at home as well.
- Do not use any powered cleaning brushes for one-week post-treatment.
- Do not use any alpha hydroxy acids, beta hydroxy acids, retinol, or vitamin c serums or scrubs for one week.
- No swimming or participating in strenuous activities for the first 72 hours post-treatment.
- No tanning bed or direct sunlight for 72 hours.